Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Writing is Never Easy

Writing is not easy. Not as a business. Not as a creative endeavor. But for me, writing can be filled with joy.

For the past year I've worked on a contemporary romance. And I love this book. I continue to love the book even though I struggle to write and then rewrite the manuscript each and every day. Perhaps that is why my entry to the Harlequin Presents Contest was so effervescent. Now please, do not mistake effervescence with ease. They are two separate words.

Every story, every chapter, every storyboard, every outline, every sentence, every word takes work. However, it was with great joy that I discovered as I worked on my entry that two amazing characters came forth. Ease? No. As I've said. Writing is never easy. But joyful? Yes. I believe the joy came from the intensity of the attraction these characters felt for each other. And the tight word count in which I, as an author had to convey this intensity. There is something, I found through this entry, thrilling about needing to convey as much as possible about the chemistry between two people in so few words. But yes, the characters and their story came fast. But does that mean I didn't work on the pages?

No.

I am an author. And every author works. We work on craft. Just because a story comes fast doesn't mean it's not rewritten, tinkered with, rewritten again. We should all know, based on one of my favorite authors, just because there is speed in the writing doesn't mean there isn't work. Not that I will ever be nearly as talented nor as prolific as the great Nora. A girl can dream.

I end with this... There is no greater gift given to an author than a story to convey. Who knows where the stories come from? I don't ask. I merely write the words.

xoMaggie

3 Comments:

Blogger Charity said...

Maggie-

I totally agree. It isn't easy, and even if one writes it quickly, there are always so many ways to improve upon the foundation through the revision and rewriting process. I'm just now discovering that!

Best wishes,
Finny

December 14, 2009 at 9:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations Maggie on the Presents Contest.

There's something very fun about writing those alpha males and the intensely emotional scenes required by Presents.

And I understand what you're saying. Some books are a challenge on every page and some books just seem to have an inherent, I don't know, rightness? - that makes it seem that the characters are writing their own book.

Best of luck.

December 14, 2009 at 3:19 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

HI Maggie,

just stopped by to say a huge Congrats on the Presents Competition, such exciting news!

Really looking forward to reading your chapter soon.

Good Luck with everything,

Joanne

December 15, 2009 at 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home