Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Children of the Waters by Carleen Brice

Children of the Waters by Carleen Brice is out this week! I can't wait to read this book. I am so very excited for it. Here is the cover. As you all know, I love cover art...and this cover gets a big thumbs up from me.



Carleen was kind enough to answer some of my questions about Children of The Water as well as her writing process.


Tell us about your latest book.

Still reeling from divorce and feeling estranged from her teenage son, Trish Taylor is in the midst of salvaging the remnants of her life when she uncovers a shocking secret: her sister is alive. For years Trish believed that her mother and infant sister had died in a car accident. But the truth is that her mother fatally overdosed and that Trish’s grandparents put the baby girl up for adoption because her father was black.

After years of drawing on the strength of her black ancestors, Billie Cousins is shocked to discover that she was adopted. Just as surprising, after finally overcoming a series of health struggles, she is pregnant–a dream come true for Billie but a nightmare for her sweetie, Nick, and for her mother, both determined to protect Billie from anything that may disrupt her well-being.


What pulled you into this story, and as a writer made you think 'I have to write this'?

My sister-in-law told me the story of meeting her birth sister. I got goose bumps and everyone I ever told the story always said they got goose bumps. Can’t have a better sign that this is a good story to tell!


Tell us about your writing process. Do you outline or are you more organic?

I do a combination of outlining and writing and seeing where it goes. It’s weird and very messy, but seems to be how I work.


What is a typical writing day like for you?

After goofing off on the internet, I mean, after networking, for an hour or so, I usually spend about 3 hours writing or trying to write. If it’s really going well or if I’m on deadline, I will pick it up later in the day and do another couple of hours.


If you could only own and read 5 books for the rest of your life, (excluding your own) what five books would you choose?

This would be a terrible, terrible thing! But if I had to:

YOUR BLUES AIN’T LIKE MINE by Bebe Moore Campbell

THE RED TENT by Anita Diament

HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE by J.K. Rowling

THIS SIDE OF THE SKY by Elyse Singleton

UGLY WAYS by Tina McElroy Ansa


If you had to watch only five films for the rest of your life, what five films would you choose?

Again, shivers just thinking about it!

Broadcast News

Out of Sight

Something New

Kung Fu Hustle

The Way We Were




Thank you Carleen! Now everyone go buy the book!
xomaggie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home