Thursday, June 24, 2010

Criminal Instinct by Kelly Parra

Ooo boy! I love it when a friend has a new book on shelves. And I love it even more when said book can be downloaded to my handy-dandy Nook. Criminal Instinct by Kelly Parra is a brilliant knew romantic-suspense. Kelly is the author of Invisible Touch (currently under option to be made into a film), Graffiti Girl and now Criminal Instinct.



Great cover, right?

Kelly was kind enough to answer some of my questions about her latest book and her writing process.

Tell us about Criminal Instinct

Hi Maggie, thanks so much for chatting with me! Criminal Instinct published by Carina Press is my debut into adult fiction. CI is a fast-paced urban romantic suspense story involving drug trafficking. Here’s the official blurb:

Five years in prison or five years working as an undercover agent?

Not the easiest choice for Ana Moreno, who has a history of B and E convictions and a problem with authority. But it’s a decision she and four other felons are willing to make to stay out of a jail cell.

When a deadly shipment of Ecstasy heads for San Francisco, Ana’s team is sent to stop it. Ana’s task: get close to the handsome and dangerous Jonas Saven, right-hand man of a suspected drug dealer with a deadly agenda. As Ana uncovers a web of secrets, betrayal and revenge, her heated attraction to Saven grows.

But with time running out to stop the dangerous drug lord, Ana must complete her mission—even if it costs her everything...


What is your writing process like? Do you outline or are you more organic?

I often use a short synopsis to keep me going when I get stuck, but I don’t usually outline. Ideas usually come to me as I’m doing my everyday life stuff, groceries, running errands. Haha!


What is a typical writing day like for you?

A typical day usually consists of getting the kids ready for school, then a morning of emails and promo followed by shifting into creative mode for some writing. All the while fielding phone calls and urgent emails. Can you tell I’m not very organized? *wink*



What's surprised you about being a published author?

I think what surprised me the most in the beginning of my career was all the time and promotion the author has to squeeze in while trying to keep writing and with a busy family life. It’s really tough when you have young ones. I try my best to keep a schedule but there are times when life overwhelms.

But what has also surprised me is the warmth and reception I’ve received from readers. If readers connect with one of your stories, it’s amazing the lengths they will go to let you know how much they have enjoyed your story. It’s always a pleasure to hear or read positive feedback!


What's next for you?

Right now, I’m working on two projects. A new young adult title and hopefully another romance!

Thank you Kelly! Best of luck with the new release Criminal Instinct. Now, Dear Reader, go buy the book!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home