Sunday, October 30, 2011

Brave Exposure

To write is to expose oneself. It doesn't matter if you write literary fiction, thriller, horror, young adult, comedy, romance, womens fiction, or screenplays--when you write you expose not only your ability to put word to page but also your inner-self.

There are rules to writing. There is a definite order buried in each novel--no matter the type. First you learn the technique of writing and then you actually write.

I constantly question my ability as a writer to the point of neurosis--just ask the Hubs. I remember when I embarked on this journey I would often think 'if only I was published' or 'once I'm published' things will be different, better, easier, more fun, (insert any positive word here).

While there is some relief that comes with being published--that relief doesn't last. Like every endeavor, with advancement or the meeting of a goal the expectations and responsibilities change. Writing takes on a whole different quality when everyone expects you to publish. This isn't just about fun anymore. This is a career.

The goal line moved. My expectations changed. And my patience for failure walked out the door.

It is with dogged determination that I pursue my next story, my next character, my next book. I am a writer--no matter what the outcome--telling stories is what I do.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Maggie. No matter what I do, I am right there with you - writing, telling stories.

Maria

October 30, 2011 at 11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this post!

Lots of pressure in this business. You have to really love it to stick with it.

October 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home