Friday, June 1, 2007

Thank You To The Soldiers

Yesterday, in the Saint Louis airport I cried. I cried for two men I've never met and probably never will. The first man, if you want to call him that, couldn't be much older than 18. I watched as his father hugged him and sobbed, his little sister embraced him with tears rolling down her cheeks and his mother tried desperately not to cry and told him to keep his chin up. I watched him get into the security line wearing his desert fatigues, in fact I stepped aside to let him get in line in front of me. Because, that was right, and just, because he's going to fight for me. The second man, was really a man. Perhaps my age. I watched him hug his wife, while she held their three year old daughter. I watched his two other girls most likely six and eight hold on to each of his legs. Yes, I cried for these two men and their families yesterday and I am crying right now as I type. I have two children and a husband to hug any of them good by is difficult but to hug them good by as they head to war? I can't begin to imagine. Now, I hate this war. I believe we, the American people were told a bunch of great big lies. There were no WMD's. Saddam Hussein had NOTHING to do with 9/11. And I believe these lies stem from greed. Greed, from a bunch of middle aged men who are helping their buddies become rich from oil and war profiteering. And the tragedy is that they are using the brave men and women in our military to fill their pockets full of money. But I have only gratitude for these soldiers. Men and women who go because America asks them to go. And I thank them. I thank the soldiers and their families for their sacrifice. Because it is a sacrifice. So thank you. I know my words of thanks are not enough, nothing could be. But, thank you. Please be safe and come home soon.
xo Maggie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home